Friday, May 1, 2009

Save the bird!!!!!

I recently spent a day with my grandmother and after a day full of interesting events I decided I had to share a story on something only Elle Hill would do!

The day started off when Sarah called and asked if I would go to Idaho Falls with her. She was babysitting one of Steve's cousins and didn't want to leave the baby in the car alone when she stopped to make deliveries for Frank. I told her I would go mostly because little Evangeline is adorable and I couldn't say no to her cute little face. So we made the trek to the great city of Idaho Falls.

We decided after all the deliveries were made that we were kind of hungry. Neither of us having any money decided we would go to Grandma Elle's and she would for sure take us somewhere to eat. We were right. After lunch our Granny then decided she wanted to buy us all new dresses for spring. Who could pass up an offer like that?! So we started towards the mall.

It was on our way to the mall when my grandmas car went over a bird in the middle of the road. (She didn't hit it, the car simply went over it.) She then turned to Sarah and me and said, " Oh no, that little bird is hurt, someone is going to hit it!" Sarah and I exchanged looks and simply replied that it was the circle of life and it happened many, many times a day. My grandma wouldn't have any of this. So, on Hitt road she pulled her car over got out, and started walking toward this hurt pigeon. She then proceeded to stop traffic, not worrying about the cars beginning to pile up. She proceeded to pick up the bird, walk back to the car and get in, holding it the whole time in her lap.

We freaked. We tried to have her throw it in the field or in someones yard, but she wouldn't have any of that, "The bird is one of God's creatures girls, we have to take it somewhere that will fix her broken wing." Having her grandchildren in the car nevertheless someone elses baby didn't matter, we could live with bird flu!

We proceeded to drive around Idaho Falls looking for an animal shelter for a good half hour while the bird slept in my grandmothers arms. When she opened the car door to take the dumb bird in the shelter it freaked and decided it's wing, really wasn't broken. It flew around her car until finally she caught it. Everyone besides my grandmother was worried about it clawing the babies eyes out, but this didn't worry grandma.

She took the bird into the shelter and I can only imagine the looks they gave her. The told her they would call the bird lady and she would come make sure this cute little pigeon would soon again fly. Sarah and I know that they just waited until her car drove away and then they threw it away. Oh the days with grandma!!

2 comments:

Steve and Sarah Simper said...

ohh goodness! you forgot to add the part where 2 days later she said she was going to call the animal shelter to see how her cute little birdie was doing. And then how she freaked when you me and mom told her that the probably just put it down.

Frank and Alyson Paice said...

Love love love this. My only regret is I missed it....NOT